Prince Harry and Meghan Markle warned they could be booed if they attend King Charles' coronation
| Last updated
Multiple politicians, historians, and other notable Britons have called for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to be banned from King Charles' Coronation.
One Tory MP even claimed the public may boo them if they attend the May 6 event at Westminster Abbey in the wake of the couple's highly contentious Netflix documentary Harry & Meghan.
Former Conservative Tory MP for Putney David Mellor told the Mail on Sunday the couple 'categorically shouldn’t come'.
"They make money out of selling their family down the river," he said,
"I think it should be made clear that the British people do not want them there."
Mellor said the public would have good reason to 'boo if the couple did turn up'.
He added: "They are a sad pair and there is no hope for them on their current course."
Former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith also told the Mail on Sunday that the now-US based duo do not deserve an invitation.
Duncan said: "If they dislike the Royal Family so much why would they attend the Coronation?"
Renowned British historian and writer Lady Antonia Fraser also called for Harry and his wife to stay on the other side of the Atlantic.
"It worries me that if they come the cameras might waste time on them," she told the Daily Mail.
"They should stay holding hands in Hollywood."
Now-retired Rear Admiral Chris Parry is worried the Coronation will be yet 'another red carpet event for them'.
"They are not consistent with the dignity and the importance of the occasion," he told the Mail Online.
Recent polls conducted by two major British newspapers also indicate that the public has turned on the Prince and his wife.
In a poll conducted on behalf of the Daily Mail, 28 per cent of people wanted to see Harry and Meghan banned from the King's big day.
Another recent poll for The Express called for the pair to have their titles revoked if they launch a blistering attack against the Royal Family.
The poll was conducted in relation to Prince Harry's upcoming memoir Spare, however the principle could still be applied to the claims the couple made during Netflix's Harry & Meghan.
Isle of Wight Tory MP Bob Seely also revealed last week he is working to introduce a bill to strip the pair of their royal titles in the wake of the Netflix docuseries.
The next release of Harry & Meghan will see episodes four to six will drop on Netflix on December 15.
Featured Image Credit: Amanda Rose/Alamy. Newsphoto Alamy.
Topics: King Charles III, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, Politics, UK News, News